Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Circuit: stories from the life of a migrant child

The Circuit:  stories from the life of a migrant child by Francisco Jimenez

 

The Circuit was a very quick read.  When I completed reading it, I felt like I may have missed some things since it seemed as though I went through it so quickly.  At the same time, I think it might just be a simple read.  Why does this matter?  Well, I am trying to process what reading level it may be best suited for in the classroom.   I know we are not supposed to read these selections like teachers – but I couldn’t help it with this book.  So much of the story deals with schools and education that I had a hard time going away from my teacher eyes. 

On one hand I was disappointed when I got towards the end of this book.  I wanted something monumental to happen.  I was waiting for this major climax – this profound resolution that would just blow me away.  When I began to realize I wasn’t going to get one, I was a bit bothered that I had just read this book and that was it – that was all I was going to get.  After I was away from the book for a bit, I realized that books always have climaxes but life doesn’t.  Not only that, but it is the little moments we remember and take with us that make us who we are, and what we are to become.  Francisco took his pennies, his notebook, his memories, and his many short term friendships all with him wherever he went.  The little daily encounters and moments with his family were monumental.  The secret he and his brother shared about not wanting to move anymore, the plan to stay in Santa Maria, the unconditional love of family, all those things combined made for a great memoir.  No where in the story was resentment for their lives – selfishness was only existent at Christmas when he so wanted a ball – but that quickly dissolved with the tears of his mother and the gift between her and his father.  This memoir appears to be an accurate description of just living life.

This brings me to the other side, the side I came to after walking away from the book for a bit – the stuff I really enjoyed.  I like that this book seems very honest.  Working in a school with a handful of children of Hispanic immigrant workers, having some families come and go is not out of the norm.  I often wondered why a parent would do that, couldn’t they see how difficult it would be for their son/daughter to receive a proper education.  I have always believed that all parents try their best but because of circumstances, everyone’s best is quite different.  Still, I never understood the moving and returning year after year.  Now – I guess I do.  I really liked that reading this made me open my eyes more on this topic.  This life they live is, for some, the only way to provide for their family; doesn’t mean any of them like, want, would choose this lifestyle – but poverty usually removes much choice.  This book does a good job of showing that.  It also does a good job of showing how loving and connected this family is.  From my culture that values education, things, money, homes, clothes, and more things – it is hard to imagine that a family like Francisco’s could really be happy.  I would argue, that despite their poverty, they are happy as a family unit who loves and cares deeply for each other.  Many families in our culture who appear to have it all may very well lack this essential ingredient of happiness. 

Makes one remember that to understand one culture through only the eyes of your own culture is quite difficult to do; people need to change perspective and look through other lenses as much as possible to truly gain insight into a situation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment