Sunday, December 6, 2009

Persepolis

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

 




Two years ago my book club decided to read a graphic novel. 

Persepolis was, at that time, a newer movie so they selected the book with the intention of watching the movie after reading.  I must admit I hurried through the book and just thought it was OK.  Since I had read all of the CHOICE books, (love Maus, Arrival I just read and really enjoyed – it was a difficult “read” though) I decided to reread Persepolis because it is the novel I least recalled.  There are a few things I noticed during my second read that I completely missed during my first.  When you focus more on the pictures, as well as the words, MUCH more is gained.  This may seem like a no-brainer, but when you are 

rushed in your reading of a graphic novel, you skim and it is quite difficult to skim a graphic novel and get everything out of it that you should.  Until I reread Persepolis, I hadn’t realized this as much. 

This makes perfect sense.  After recognizing this I have a much greater appreciation for the complexity of graphic novels.  Since I began reading graphic novels I truly enjoyed the genre and just looked at it as another method of engaging students – especially reluctant readers.  Because of this I guess I assumed the reading was easier.  This is just not the case.  

I struggled with The Arrival – and not because there were no words but because there was so much going on and so much had to be inferred (the area of greatest difficulty for student readers) When you think of picture books, you think of elementary 

school and The Arrival really contradicts that belief.





Maus – without the pictures the story is not nearly as interesting or deep.  The symbolism alone in the drawings is quite impressive.  Entire 

discussions could be held regarding just the symbolism. 

Persepolis – a story I thought was OK upon the first read and am so grateful I read it again – there is more to the story than skimming through the words can give the reader. 

Through these works (and others I have read) I have gone from enjoying this alternative story option to believing graphics novels should be required in literature (and other) classes.  I actually feel that (good) graphic novels are the most challenging of texts and offer the greatest interest and greatest discussion for students. 

As a teacher I have said countless times – don’t just tell, show.  Graphic novels literally and figuratively do just this.

No comments:

Post a Comment